My sister is awesome.
No really. When I think of people who call themselves a boss, I compare them to her. She is a boss. Actually though, her list of achievements is a bit excessive. ha!
Marathons, triathalons, and Crossfit level 2 coach. She wakes up in the middle of the night to coach crossfitters in another state.
OH AND SHE JUDGED THE WINNER OF CROSSFIT GAMES TWO YEARS IN A ROW. She’s so cool.
She excels at exceling. Intensely excellent! Even at counting reps. There’s literally nothing she does that she doesn’t give her all.
So, when she comes to me with things like book suggestions…Oh, did I mention she runs the local crossfit book club? Of course she does. She’s epic!
Lucky for us, she’s done the work of finding this awesome routine that’ll give you beautiful natural hair and of course she knows what she’s talking about because look at those curls!
Cassie’s hair routine is a careful process that she’s kindly mapped out for us. Keep reading to find out how Cassie maintains those curls and get introduced to #hairmaskmonday
36 weeks of intensive of Curly Girl methodology
My sister, Curly Cassie, has been seriously studying and experimenting with the Curly Girl Method since February 2018. She is the one who’s taught me what I know and encourages me to keep experimenting. Lucky for us, she keeps up with the latest tutorials and products, then takes incredibly detailed notes in order to test those theories.
Curly Cassie’s Operation Healthy Hair Rules:
After years of straightening, coloring, swim caps, ponytails, and using the wrong products for her hair, Cassie tasked herself with Operation Healthy Hair.
Below are the rules she applies from Curly Girl Method:
- Silk pillowcase
- No heat whatsoever
- biotin supplement (can take up to 2.5mg daily)
- pineapple bun for fitness activities
- limit hair washings to 3-4 times a week
- products must be free of silicone sulfate, salt, fragrance, and drying alcohols
- use a wooden hair brush
- weekly deep conditioning treatments we call #hairmaskmonday
- never brush wet hair
- snip dead ends
Curly Cassie’s Hair Routine
#HairMaskMonday is a weekly hair treatment to promote hair growth and restoration from damage. Years of ponytails and heat damaged her beautiful natural curls.
Weekly #hairmaskmonday routine
- Pour hair oil into the scalp and let it cover all the way from the scalp to the ends.
- Deep conditioning treatment with Garnier Fructis Nourishing Treat.
- Use a heated shower cap. Pop it in the microwave for 90 seconds, repeat as needed.
- Leave on for as long as you can.
- In the shower, rinse with a water bottle with 1-2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. This leaves her hair super soft, removes product build up, and creates a clean pallet for the scalp.
- Shampoo with Deva Curl Low Poo.
- Use a Hair Scalp Massager Shampoo brush.
- Condition with Deva Curl One Condition Delight. Scrunching the conditioner from roots to scalp.
- Rinse with cold water!
- Plop wet hair in a t-shirt for 10 minutes (never use a bath towel on hair).
- Add Deva Curl Wave Maker for soft defined waves.
- Scrunch with a t-shirt (never use a bath towel on hair).
- Bobby Pin roots for lift.
- Try not to touch hair until it dries to reduce frizz.
- Let air dry or use a diffuser on low heat if necessary.
Favorite YouTube Subscriptions
Cassie watches Youtubers known for their fabulous hair to find out exactly what they try for their hair.
Curly Susie – nurse that lives in Canada – she tends to like her hair in a gel cast, tighter curls, spends minimal money on hair products, and she has a tutorial on hair styles for work.
India Batson – uses Deva Curl products, her mom does Curly Girl Method too. She tends to like her hair wavy, soft curls, and she spends more money on hair products.
Bianca Renee – lots of technique videos.
Time to get started on your own curly hair routine!
Check out my postpartum hair routine. If you have any questions, let me know!